How it all started...
After years of praying about planting a church in nearby Greeneville, TN, in 1919, the vision of First Christian Church of Johnson City bore fruit in committed believers who gathered for a series of tent revival meetings at the Greene County Courthouse. That foundation encouraged these first believers to establish weekly gatherings for worship and Bible study, build a permanent home on Summer Street, and become a body of Christians committed to the long-term flourishing of Greeneville and Greene County!
Expanding the vision...
After 50 years of faithfulness and growth in downtown Greeneville, in 1969 the congregation finished phase one—the worship and Christian education spaces—and moved to what was then the "suburbs" of Temple Street, just 2 miles from downtown! In two further and likewise debt-free stages, they finished what is now our "Greeneville" campus, allowing for expanded ministry to the community.
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
Where we are...
Where we're headed...
- keeping campuses small and personal,
- launching more campuses within our community,
- deploying young and emerging leaders,
- initiating creative marketplace ministry partnerships and connections through Catalyst Outreach Ministries (Catalyst Coffee Company),
- redemptively revitalizing and relaunching existing churches in our community,
- training other rural churches and leaders in multisite as a strategy to produce producers, build God's Kingdom, and open-handedly add value that helps make and keep the community strong.